Click here to view a list of free MP3 messages MP3 MESSAGES

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gossip Town

This is one of Brianna's most favorite poems to recite ...

Gossip Town
Author Unknown

Have you ever heard of "Gossip Town."
On the shore of "Falsehood Bay?"
Where "Old Dame Rumor," with the rustling gown,
Is going the live-long day?
It isn't far to "Gossip Town"
For people who want to go,
The "Idleness Train" will take you down
In just an hour or so.

The "Thoughtless Road" is a popular route
And most folks start that way.
But it's a steep down grade and if you don't look out
You'll land in "Falsehood Bay!"
You glide through the "Valley of Vicious Folk"
And into the "Tunnel of Hate"
Then, crossing the "Add-To-Bridge," you walk
Right through the City Gate.

The principal street is called, "They Say"
And "I've Heard" is the public well,
And the breezes that blow from "Falsehood Bay"
Are laden with "Don't You Tell!"
In the midst of the town is "Telltale Park"
You're never quite safe while there,
For it's owner is "Madam Suspicious Remark,"
Who lives on the street "Don't Care."

Just back of the park is "Slanderous Row"'
Twas there that "Good Name" died,
Pierced by the dart from "Jealousy's Bow"
In the hands of "Envious Pride."
From Gossip Town peace long since fled,
But Trouble, Grief and Woe
And Sorrow and Care you'll meet instead
If ever you chance to go!

6 comments:

MaryLu said...

I've lived next to Madam Suspicious Remark and watched Good Name die.
Because of that experience, I try never to go there.
Thanks for the reminder.

Girly said...

Ohhhhh, this is a good one! It is so easy to stumble in this area, thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

I REMEMBER MEMORIZING "GOSSIP TOWN" IN 7TH GRADE IN AN ALL GIRLS SCHOOL. NOW WE ARE GETTING READY FOR OUR 50 YEAR CLASS REUNION AND AM WONDERING HOW MANY WILL RECALL DOING THIS.MARGE

Mary Jo LeBlanc said...

Just found your poem- Gossip Town. I remember memorizing it at the Cane Creek Schoolhouse in Pleasantville, TN. I was in 7th grade then. Twenty years later, I can still recite it!

I've linked it to my blog so I can share it too! Thank you!

www.wisdomandthelawofkindness.blogspot.com

Lillian said...

Hi Joanne!!! I am sending that email soon, I just got on here to blog and catch up on some blogs! how busy it is! Anyway, this is awesome, wondering if I could take it? I just finished blogging on Ephesians 4:29 because of all the gossip that is going on!!!! this is wonderful

Joanne said...

Yes, please use the poem! I always appreciated this one a lot.
Love, js